Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Progress

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything." ~George Bernard Shaw

I have been thinking a lot about my career choice lately.  What is it that I do? Is it what I want to do? Do I enjoy it? and What am I doing it for?

Well I went to school to get my Masters in Museology (yes it's a real degree).  I really enjoy arts administration, but those jobs are few and far between.  In the meantime I work in development at a museum.  And I do enjoy it, even though it isn't exactly what I want to be doing.  Mostly, I do it because I know the end product of my work could change lives.  Museums changed my life way back when I was in 5th grade.

Not every organization is perfect, and the museum I work for is no different.  But it is an amazing organization with mostly amazing people working there.  The potential I see in it is immense.  I have been there for 8 years and I have seen it change a lot, some stuff good some not so good. But I still feel very positive in the progress that we can make, and in the difference we can make in people's lives.
 Progress can only be achieved if:

1. People let go of their preconceived ideas of what/who we are and what we do. In this day and economic climate we cannot be museum purists.

2. People realize that change is inevitable, and although you may be uncomfortable with it you have to do what's best for the museum.

3. People stop whining and complaining that they don't have enough of whatever resource they need.  Figure it out, people have done more with less, we can too!

So even in the face of adversity, in a time of waning state support, we can make a difference.  Progress is attainable, and I will continue to have hope!

No comments: