Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

School Days

We have been so fortunate to have had the best sitter for Elsa. She was originally recommended to me by a board member of the Museum. Come to find out she had worked with my bestie's mom at St. Patricks school, was my bestie's sister's kindergarten teacher, and is close friends with one of my co-workers. It all fell into place beautifully. We have felt so comfortable with her care, her home, and her family. And most importantly, Elsa adores her.

Alas, all good things must come to an end. She will be moving to Atlanta in the foreseeable future. Her house is currently for sale and once she sells it, she will be off to her new adventure as grandma extraordinaire. In the back of my mind I knew it was coming. Her granddaughter is the same age as Elsa. She has been up there a few times, as has her other daughters, to help take care of her. It was only a matter of time.

Elsa will transition into a more structured school setting. I knew we would do this eventually, but I just hoped we would get at least one more year with her sitter first. I have visited the daycare right at the end of our street and I am comfortable with their facilities and administrators. I have yet to meet the woman that will be her teacher, but we will before we make the final transition. The bonus is we will be able to walk Elsa to and from school everyday. Saves time and gas. We still aren't sure exactly when this will take place, but sometime after the holidays.

I am not too concerned about her ability to adapt. She is such an outgoing and laid-back kid. I do worry she will be sad about not seeing her sitter, but we will deal with that as it comes. She will have a MUCH more structured day. And in some ways that is very good.

It is bitter sweet that our munchkin is growing up and transitioning to a "big girl" school, while leaving her only other caretaker she has known since practically birth. Wish us luck!

No comments: