Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Spirit

This is the first year in many that I think I have felt what one might call the "Christmas Spirit."  I have no real reason to have not felt this feeling in the last few years. I feel like there has been some selfishness on my part causing me to not respond to holiday cheer, but instead to focus on me and probably Steven.  I spent eons focusing on others, with not too much in return.  I admit I have felt under-appreciated at times, but not neglected in any way.
So to have this feeling crop up this year feels good.
A study was conducted in 2007 on developing a way to measure Christmas spirit. Full article here: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/promo/xmas/a_measure.pdf.
"Ultimately, people with strong, positive feelings and judgements about Christmas would have a high level of Christmas spirit that influences the conduct of Christmas activities in a happy and cheerful manner."

I am not religious and therefore, do not celebrate Christmas in that manner.  I do however, embrace the idea of good will towards man, and that Christmas sees an increase in this goodwill.  
I have increased my tipping at restaurants, wanting to provide some additional funds for wait staff at this time of year, bought magazines by those door to door saleskids (sucker I know), and bought little trinkets in an effort to say "thank you for all you have done this year." It has made me feel good, and increased my holiday outlook. I define my holiday outlook as, the world is a better place, and will continue to be a better place as long as people "pay it forward" in their Christmas spirit. Spreading Christmas like a virus I suppose.


So Merry Christmas to all, or Happy Holidays, whichever your prefer!

No comments: