Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Sleeping Adjustment

I find it funny that as a pregnant woman I went through several months of uncomfortable sleep. People constantly were telling me "get your sleep now!" As if I could bank that sleep to draw on it later.
Then our little cutie showed up and we have spent some time figuring out new methods to get our sleep. One thing people say now is "nap when she naps, you;ll need it."  Ha! Easier said than done.  I would love to know how many of these advice givers actually took there own advice.
Steve and I seem to have evolved our sleep patterns into something that works for us.
At night I cater more to Elsa's needs, feeding and soothing, and Steve helps with diapers. With this method he gets a little more sleep at night.  Then when she wakes up in the early morning I feed her and Steve takes her out of the room to let me sleep a little longer.  He will take a nap late in the day.  And this seems to be working.
For me to feel refreshed from a nap it takes me about 20 minutes to fall asleep and I need a minimum of 2 hours down time.  An hour or a half hour just won't cut it. So I have a real hard time napping during the day.  But it doesn't mean I don't try.

The bad thing with our method is that Steve goes back to work in 2 weeks.  So I will have to get up in the mornings instead of going back to sleep.  I guess I may have to learn how to nap more efficiently then.
Sleeping Elsa

1 comment:

The Barber Family said...

It is awesome that Steve got to be home for 3 weeks. I think I stayed home 3 days total with both kids.