Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Is it Enough?

I have recently started feeling like I'm not doing enough for Elsa's brain development. I don't know why I am having this feeling, but it is quite irksome.
We were in Toys R Us yesterday and Baby Einstein DVDs were on sale and I kept thinking that we needed to buy them. Money is a little tight, so I had to ask myself "Is this an unnecessary purchase?" How much is Elsa's education and brain development worth? Then I freaked out (inside my head of course, lest other parents see me), am I screwing up my kid by not buying this DVD? Then I thought should we be using "Baby Can Read," or other learning tools? She is changing so fast, will I miss a critical learning phase if I skip this DVD? Am I messing up her learning foundation?
We talk to her all of the time. Explain everything to her, trees, plants, animals, household items, you name it. We read to her, but not as much as we probably should. I work with her on her alphabet and counting using a Fisher Price ap on my iPhone.  She really likes that. But is it enough? I have no idea! I try to read their developmental milestones for an indication, but there isn't one for this kind of stuff.  Just suggested age ranges on the tools themselves. I guess I will just cross my fingers and hope for the best?

1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

The Today Show had a story this morning about how the Your Baby Can Read stuff is some kind of scam. Also, we have some Baby Einstein DVDs that you are welcome to - I doubt any brain development was facilitated by them for Jack, but he was entertained! :) You are doing all the right things. :)