Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

How old is too old to have a baby?

I watched an episode of Dr. OZ last week. I have ever actually watched it before, and my overall opinion is that a. it's not very organized and b. he cuts people off in a rude way. But besides that the topic was "When Are You Too Old to Have a Baby?"
Being that I have been described as "advanced maternal age" I stayed on the channel to watch it and see what they had to say.  Mostly they were referring to women 40 and up. But they tried to dissect a couple of theories like "women can have it all" and Dr.s don't really talk about the consequences of having babies that can occur from fertility treatments.

The first theory of "women can have it all" is a stigma that modern women have to address when planing a family. I get this. I had a series of things that needed to be accomplished prior to starting a family, college, find the right guy and get the right job. I didn't think it would take as long as it did, and I did have a lot of anxiety about my biological clock ticking away. Some of the opinions on the show were that the women weren't worried about the biological clock. This did bother me. It was as if they thought their eggs would last forever. They were kind of naive in their belief that it didn't matter how old they were. There definitely was a lack of realization that it could be hard, very emotional, cost a lot of money and may not work in the end.

The theory about the Dr's not fully disclosing the consequences and safety issues of fertility treatments and having babies at an advance age, was quite interesting.  I hadn't really thought about that.  Having gone through fertility treatments I could relate to this.  By the time I had to go to a fertility dr it was an emotional decision not a logical one. Logically with any other medical treatment, you would weigh the pros and cons and then make a decision. But having a baby of your own really does become an emotional one and I think most women get to the point of "whatever I have to do." So I can see where Dr's probably say things, but some women will ignore it.  The drugs can cause things like cancer, chances of down's is 1 and 12 at age 45, and the older you get the higher chance of your health overall could fail before your children are grown. No matter how healthy you are, your eggs still age.

Overall they presented some interesting statistics, but again it was very unorganized and they did not actually address the emotional decision vs. a logical decision that I think comes into play.

Link to the show: http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/when-are-you-too-old-have-baby

No comments: