Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pretty Ears

When I was five years old I got my ears pierced. I love wearing earrings. I do not know any one female who doesn't have earrings. So when we found out Elsa was going to be a girl, I knew I wanted her ears pierced, but I had to think about when she would get them pierced. Would she get them as a baby? At some birthday milestone? Would I let her make that decision or would I make it for her?

To make this decision I only had to look back at my own experience to answer it. My holes were made by using spring/tension rings. I tried to find a picture of one on the internet and couldn't. Guns were available back then (insert old joke here), but why pay when you can push a hole in your ear over a two week span? I don't remember the pain, but I do remember the emotion of it. It was how it was done  and I lived.

In the end I decided I would rather get her ears done now and save her the memory. She will always have had earrings.  Yes, I have heard the argument about letting her choose it IF she wants it someday. But again I do not know any girls without them that I can think of. She will eventually want them. And she won't mess with them now or get them infected by touching or playing with them.

Yesterday was the big day, and she is dang cute!



There was some emotion with it. My baby is no longer how she came out of the womb. She has holes in her ears. Daddy had a very hard time as well.  He didn't want to see it happen, but wanted to be there. But it had to be a team effort to get it done, so he had to stay and help.  She cried a little bit, but she had already been pretty grumpy that day. Today, she has no idea it even happened.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

Was searching for my GF's blog and came across yours. Loved your own story of piercing your ears "the old fashioned" way as well as your thoughtful reasoning and description having your dd's ears pierced as an infant.

This was a perfect age to pierce her ears! You were a smart mommy for doing it now and following mommy intuition earlier is best when mommy can care for them. Babies and little girls with little pierced ears celebrates their femininity and femaleness.

Our ped gave me some suggestions for moms having their infant dd's ears pierced. If any moms are thinking about it, and want some more research on the topic, write me an e-mail.

Angie

Angietune@hotmail.com