Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Little Princess, Little Tomboy

I always like to say I was my mother's daughter, and my father's son. While some aspects of my life hold true to this philosophy it isn't entirely accurate. Since I was an only child, and I was a female, I had to take on some generally accepted "boys" roles to also be the son my dad never had. I must clarify, my dad NEVER said he wished he had a son, or wished I had been a boy. I never felt the pressure to be the son, like Robin Scherbotsky does in How I Met Your Mother. But boys do fun things too, and for the longest time I was in a neighborhood with mostly all boys.

I had Tonka trucks, a BB gun, camo pants, ran around in the woods (or swamp, depending on the season), built serious forts, tried to skateboard (was terrible at it), worked on car engines, refinished furniture, did yard work, set up camp in the back yard, you get the point. I had cuts, scrapes and bruises all of the time. And I had a blast!

At the same time, I had barbie dolls, curling irons, pretty clothes, went to the mall, pretended to model with my best friend Keri, was boy crazy and went nuts over the New Kids on the Block. And to note when Keri and I would camp in the backyard, we had all of the comforts of a bedroom, lamps, lots of blankets and pillows, a radio and we would go to the candy store and stock up for the long night. I think they call that "glamping" now.

I was just as much a little princess as I was a tomboy. I really hope I can raise Elsa to live in both worlds, because both have so much to offer a kid.


No comments: